BENEFITS OF OATS
1. Helps to lower cholesterol level in blood.
- Beta-glucans, a soluble fiber present in oats has been proven effective in lowering blood cholesterol.
- Thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
- A study confirms that having a bowl of oat meal everyday reduces the CVD risk by 10%.
2. Reduces high blood sugar
- Being a low glycemic index (GI) food which helps to control your blood glucose.
- It is high in fiber content.
- Type 2 diabetes patients can benefit a lot from a morning breakfast of oatmeal as it reduce cholesterol level.
3. Stronger bones
- Oats are rich in calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.
- Regular consumption of oats helps keep bones strong.
- Thus, reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
4. Excellent for Pregnancy
- It is a good source of folic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.
- Pregnant women need 400mcg of folic acid a day.
- A bowl of oatmeal can reduce the chances of having a baby with fetal defect such as spina bifida.
- Oatmeal bath helps heal dry & flaky skin, eczema and other skin conditions.
- Skin rashes and insect bites are also healed with mashed oats.
- Oatmeal scrubs exfoliate your skin and are very beneficial to oily skin.
- Protein is used to build, repair, and maintain all body tissues and provide the body energy.
- Oats have a higher concentration of well-balanced protein (100 gm of oats have around 17 gm of protein) than other cereals - 100 gm of oats contains twice as much protein as 100 gm of wheat or cornflakes).
- The quality of the protein is superior to the quality of protein found in wheat or other grains.
7. Improves digestion
- The high fiber content of Oats makes it an ideal medicine-food for individuals suffering from gastritis, colitis, and other digestive problems.
- Oats promote healthy bowel movement.
- It also can cure constipation.
8. Boosts Immune system
- Selenium, and Vitamin E present in Oats significantly enhances the human immune system's response to bacterial infection.
- This makes oatmeal the perfect food to have on the table during flu season.
- Zinc, present on oats, helps in metabolism, healing wounds and growth of new cells.
9. Reduce weight
- The high amount of soluble fiber in oats forms a bulk when digested.
- This causes the viscosity of the contents of the stomach and small intestine to be increased.
- The bulk delays emptying of the stomach making you feel full longer which helps you to loss weight.
- Oats are low in fat content.
- A new research found that the children who ate oatmeal were 50% less likely to become overweight, when compared to those children that did not eat it.
10. Reduces the risk of cancer
- Phytochemicals present in oats are thought to reduce a person's risk of getting cancer.
- Lignan, a type of phytochemical especially abundant in oats has been linked to decreased risk of breast cancer and colon cancer.
- Whole oats result in bulky stool, which in turn dilutes carcinogens.
- Carcinogens is any subtances that able to cause cancer.
11. Reduce stress
- Oats is very suitable in cases of depression, insomnia, and physical or nervous fatigue.
- A mixture of oats, milk and honey reduces stress in the morning and boosts concentration.
12. Energy booster
- Oats are high is carbohydrate, they are excellent when it comes to boosting performance.
- Other nutrients present in oats like Phosphorus, vitamin B, magnesium and iron help in energy production.
- The lipids present in oats contain a good balance of essential fatty acids, which has been linked with longevity and general good health.